The square was until very recently part of the London estate of the Dukes of Bedford. As the population of London grew the area was developed, firstly by James Burton (1761-1837), followed by Thomas Cubitt (1788-1855). Burton was responsible for the East side of Tavistock Square which was demolished in 1938; neighbouring Woburn Walk with the only surviving premises, is easily recognisable from televised adaptations of classical novels.
Cubitt developed large areas of London including the North and West sides of the Square, Endsleigh Street, where the Estate gatekeepers lodge still exists, Gordon Square and some of Woburn Square.
We're working to improve Tavistock Square Gardens