Friends of Tavistock Square
Walking Tour
History 1950-Present
History 1850-1950
History 1550-1850
Landmarks
History 1950-Present

 

1953

President Nehru of India planted a copper beech tree in the gardens. The tree was replaced in 1997.

1965

On 1 April, the London Borough of Camden was created and management of Tavistock Square was transferred to the new authority.

1967

A flowering cherry was planted at the north end of the square in August to commemorate the victims of Hiroshima.

1968

A memorial to Mahatma Gandhi by sculptor Fredda Brilliant was placed in the centre of the square.

1994

A large rough hewn boulder was placed at the northern end of the gardens on 15 May for International Conscientious Objectors’ Day as a memorial “to all those who established and are maintaining the right to refuse to kill”.

2004

A memorial to Virginia Woolf was erected in the south west corner of the gardens on Saturday 26 June.

2005 

Tavistock Square became internationally recognised when a double-decker bus was the target of a suicide bomber on 7 July as part of a terrorist strike. The bus exploded outside the British Medical Association and resulted in the loss of 13 lives. 

2007

The Friends of Tavistock Square are formed.

2011

Saturday 21st May, Opening Ceremony performed by Henrietta, Duchess of Bedford.

 


HomeAboutTavistock SquareOpening CeremonyThe GalleryGuestbook